Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Stitch Some Penny Rug Stacks















How do you stitch your stacks? I pre determine how much thread it will take to stitch around my two smallest pennies (for this example, a three stack). Then I stitch just the first penny. I make groups of 5 and wrap the remaining thread around the started stacks. I can count my groups of 5 to quickly determine how many more stacks I need to make.

Later, when all the small pennies are attached, I re-thread my chenille needle, and attach my largest penny. Next step, I stitch the backings on with a new pre-determined length of thread. This is how I make my rugs portable. I can pre-cut my threads and take only the segment I'm working on.

These are "3 stack" pennies with a backing. 
I used 4 circles:
1", 1 1/2", and 2" with an extra 2" for the backing. 

They will all be joined together to make a mat.

If these stacks were going to be stitched onto a large backing piece, I would eliminate the backings. Then this project, at this stage, would become less portable, dependent upon the size of the mat/rug.

How do you stitch your penny stacks? Check my tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment