Monday, December 31, 2007

How to Stitch a Penny Stack; The "3 stack" with a backing

Order a pre-cut kit, including threads and needles, and make a penny rug; Penny Rug Kits


Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 1. THE BACK-STITCH; Use a back-stitch to begin. I use enough thread to completely stitch around both the 1 inch and the 1 1/2 inch combined, you will have to measure a few pieces of thread and stitch, in order to find the length that is right for your stitch sizes. You can do this first back stitch in either the first or second penny of the stack, your preference. I begin here with the 1 1/2 inch penny.
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 2. THE BACK-STITCH IS COMPLETED

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 3. ATTACH THE ONE INCH; begin your blanket stitch around (I stitch to the right) I brought the thread up through the larger penny to begin attaching the smaller one. My stitching preference with loose stacks is to stitch to the right, if I were attaching these pennies to a large piece of backing, I would stitch to the left...that's just my way.
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 4. FINISHING THE FIRST ROUND; I complete the last stitch next to the first. Estimate your last few stitches and equal out the spacing as you near the end of the round.

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 5. FINISH THE LAST STITCH; Send the needle thru/over the top of the first stitch and bring needle out the back.

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 6. ADD THE NEXT PENNY (2 1/4 inch); Take a stitch in the front of the 2 1/4 inch and out again at the point where you want to begin this round (again ...I'm stitching to the right)
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 7. THE BACK OF THE 2 1/4 INCH; This illustrates the in and out stitch to begin (here I have used enough thread to stitch around the 1 1/2 inch and the 1 inch, so I don't have to do a back stitch to begin attaching my “two stack” to this third penny.
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 8. STITCHING AROUND THE 1 1/2 INCH; I have stitched around the 1 1/2 inch penny, attaching it to the 2 1/4 inch penny.  again, closing in on the first stitch.
           
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 9. FINISHING THE ROUND; Here we go
 
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 10. FINISHING THE ROUND; here's the needle going over the first stitch and through to the back of the largest penny.

      
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 11. THE BACK OF THE 2 1/4 INCH; back stitch to end off your thread.


Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 12. THE BACK OF THE 2 1/4 INCH AGAIN; Finishing the back stitch

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 13. A NEW THREAD TO ATTACH THE  BACKING; Another back stitch for a new thread (measure this thread based on your practiced stitch length, you will then not need to stop and re-thread before the round is completed.)
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 14. MORE ON THAT BACK-STITCH; securing your back-stitch; take one or two stitches to hold the thread snug

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 14a. THE BACK-STITCH SECURED; starting a new thread to join the backing or 4th penny (same size as the third)
.
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 15. HOLDING THE THREAD TO ATTACH THE  BACKING; hold the thread

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 16. HOLD THE THREAD AND TURN THE PENNY STACK; this will bring the thread up between the backing or 4th penny and your 3 stack.
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 17. BEGIN TO STITCH THE BACKING 2 1/4 INCH; hold the thread up and start your round (reminder...I stitch to the right) (sometimes I go left, but not for these photos) This backing penny is the backing penny that hides all the stitches of your thread stack and makes a nice finished "backed stack".
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 18. PROCEEDING AROUND THE 2 1/4 INCH PENNIES
   
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 19. FINISHING THE ROUND OF ATTACHING THE  BACKING; pass your thread from the last stitch through the first top loop of the first stitch.


Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 20. FINISHING THE ROUND OF ATTACHING THE  BACKING; pass your thread from the last stitch through the first top loop of the first stitch.

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 21. FINISHING AND SECURING YOUR THREAD; you passed through the loop, now send the needle into the middle of the stack.

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 22. SECURING THE THREAD; pull the needle through and out

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 23. SECURING THE THREAD SOME MORE; send the needle back through the same exact hole and into some wool in the inside of the stack...you want to grab into some of the inside wool.

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 24. SECURING THE THREAD MORE AND MORE; Pull the needle through, this is important to repeat several times...you are making a hidden back-stitch INSIDE the stacks.
   



Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca

Figure 25. SECURING THE THREAD; Do it again in the opposite direction, or towards from where you came, this creates some back-stitching
 SECURING THE THREAD AND SNIPPING IT; you have made several back-stitches, now it's time to pull the thread taught and snip it. The cut end will disappear into the stack

Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 26. SECURED THREAD AND FINISHED BACKING; the thread disappeared as promised into the stack. This is a great method to eliminate visible knots.


Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca
Figure 27. COMPLETED 3 STACK WITH A BACKING
Pennyrugsandmore.blogspot.ca















Order a pre-cut kit, including thread and needles, and make a penny rug; Penny Rug Kits
or order my Epattern from my Etsy shop and learn how to put your stacks together.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your tutorial!! This is the best I have seen. Now I can try these.

    Lucy in Moncton NB Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I'm so excited to finally know how to make pennys!!

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited, something new for me to try, never heard of this craft before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for such a great tutorial! Now I just need to figure out how to put them together after I make them! :)

    Love your blog!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you like my blog. My pleasure. My epattern on Etsy will help you further, regarding putting the stacks together when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tutorial, lovely handwork. Plz send some good *Penny* karma way will you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for putting this tutorial on your blog. I am thinking about making one and this is a BIG help. I will let you know how mine turns out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog. I, too, love felted wool and the beautiful things you can make with it. I am certainly not as accomplished as you are, but I enjoy the hunt for new wool and the finished projects. Come see my creations at my blog --and please leave a comment. You are the artist I aspire to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Tutorial = Just found it through PInterest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you connect them when making a rug as shown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joining the stacks is something I haven't explained on my blog. But in general use a whip stitch at the back of the stack. I do explain assembly in great length in my pdf pattern. My pattern is a compilation of everything I have said about this kind of rug on my blog including the assembly. If you are interested, my pattern is available in my Etsy shop. Thanks for asking Dianne!

      Delete
  12. thank you, I have never seen how to end the thread like you have shown . Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have saved this post for a long time! I am going on a cruise and am taking wool pennies along to stitch. So nice to review this wonderful post!! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lona, the cruise part of your message is the most exciting! Enjoy the trip and I hope you have time to stitch!

      Delete