Saturday, April 16, 2016

Dear Diary

I started a diary when I was young. 
Never did write much in it.  My brother always thought it was fun to pick the lock.  I have three brothers and a sister.  The youngest of my bros, the one that couldn't leave the diary lock alone, was the "geek". My brothers were all good at fixing things and building things, especially anything to do with cars.  My geekie brother liked to invent.  His best friend lived across the street.  My best friend was his best friend's sister.  I remember one day my little sister and I were sure there were martians on our street.  Bro had tagged into our string tin can communication and was feeding the line static and space like transmissions! We were so frightened, and gullible.  

It's stuff like that I think of when I think about keeping a diary.

This is my diary.  
I have written on this blog about a few life moments, but mostly it's a journey I've been taking through my creative life.  I always like to make and fix things like my brothers.  My creations are with fabric or refinishing furniture.  I  like to re-imagine, help rebuild, and renovate the spaces my family and I live in.  We haven't tackled a renovation for a long time....I might be getting an itch.

I have written about my projects. To share but mostly to remember how I made them!  I can't tell you how many times I've referred to my own blog for instructions.  Same is true about my YouTube videos.  Both this blog and my YouTube channel have helped me understand the internet. 
 And wow, the friendships I've made because of the internet!  Fabulous fringe benefit.

Blogs have really changed, so many advertisements on them. I'm glad to see folks working for a living where they can make it.  That's what you have to do.  It just seems to spoil the atmosphere, that's what I think.  This is my blog, my diary, so I can say that.

All this practice at writing has made me wish I kept that diary.

Memories fade, photos are great but not the same as reading a story. I wish I'd written my mom's stories, my dad's stories, and my grandparents stories.  So many stories I remember, but so many that are lost.  And...do I remember them accurately?

Keep a diary or a blog, remember the stories. 

Okay, back to the wool stash, I think that's why I'm itchie.

Hugs,
Colleen

4 comments:

  1. Blogging has really changed and I avoid the big advertising ones and those that are solely self promoting now though I understand why..it just doesn't interest me. I prefer what we do..more diary style with a little of everything thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post today. I'm so glad to have you "back". :-) I was beginning to worry about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Synthia, yes long gaps between posts. Still here, no worries.I have projects in the works.I started a page on Facebook that I pop into a bit more frequently.

      Delete